We Have Positions for Volunteers!
- Community service ages 13-18
- Interns ages 18 and up
- Volunteer coaches/helpers/scorekeepers ages 18 and up
- Paid staff – coaches, managers, scorekeepers
If you already know you are interested in volunteering with Mo’ Motion, you can find the application at the bottom of this page. If you want to learn more about positions and responsibilities, we have lots of informative links for you on this page. Let us know if you have any questions!
Mo’ Motion and its NYC partner, gothambasketball.com, are both 501(c)3 organizations that serve youth, schools and teams in New York City. We work together to provide opportunities for kids from many backgrounds to benefit from fitness, sports and team participation.
In addition to young urban professionals volunteering as head coaches and assistant coaches, we also fill positions for high school students. Many high school students are in need of places where they can give back to the community and receive school credit. If you are a high school student who wants to volunteer and receive school credit, please see more information at Community Service – High School Student.
What We Are Looking For – GBA Gym Managers
Gym Manager Responsibilities
- Setting up the gym if you are the opening manager
- Setting up the scorers table and scoreboard
- Setting up benches for both teams
- Counting Balls — lock anything that is not in use for game time.
- Ensuring the area is safe, secure and clean
- Reporting Scores of each game you oversee by 5pm Sunday
- Make officials are aware of that day’s gym schedule
- Reminding refs and parents that games must be kept on schedule
- Report any incidents to Mo
- Clearing up the gym if you are a closing manager
- Ensure all garbage is cleared from the gym
- Ensure all equipment is locked away and secure before leaving the gym
- Arrive on time and prepared to start the game.
- No headphones, checking cell phones etc. Focus is on the game.
- If you cannot make a scheduled game provide enough advanced notice for the office to find a replacement.
- Communicate appropriately with coaches and referees.
Photos and Media Position Responsibilities
- Arrive on time and report to gym manager.
- Send media clips and pictures to Mo by Sunday at 5pm latest.
- No headphones or anything that may distract from the task at hand.
- Arrive on time and ready to begin the game.
- Keep games on schedule.
- Communicate respectfully with coaches, parents and staff especially in the case of any disagreements.
- Report any incidents to the gym manager.
What We Are Looking For – Coach:
A coach that is involved in the teaching process, with great presence, knowledge and an ability to create a relationship with players that is valuable to their development as ballers, teammates and individuals.
1. Time Commitment
- Weeknight Workouts: 2 hours Tues, Wed or Thurs evening
- K-3: 2 hours Saturday or Sunday morning
- Grade 4: 2 hours Saturday (Boys) or Sunday (Girls)
- Grade 5/6: 2 hours Saturday & Sunday
- Grade 7/8: 2 hours Friday & Sunday
- Off for major holidays
2. Coaching Responsibilities
- Supervise athletes to promote effective student learning through participation in athletic activities.
- Organize practice sessions that are both stimulating and instructive; teach basic fundamental skills; prepare daily practice activities and keep records on file; emphasize and promote good sportsmanship in the conduct of team members and coaches.
3. Administrative Responsibilities
- Know your gyms – entrance and exit, emergency procedures, equipment locations
- Take attendance at each session. Report to the office any players who are not on your list. During the season, report players who do not show up
- Wear Mo’ Motion gear to all events. If you need extras, email the office.
- Give advance notice whenever possible if you will miss a session. We will need time to find a sub.
What We Are Looking For – Office
Mo’ Motion, Inc. is seeking motivated and reliable high school and college students to fill it’s coaching, research and administrative positions.
1. Time Commitment
- Hours are available Monday – Friday and are flexible according to the commitment you are able to make.
- Depending on time commitment, interns will be staffed on various office projects. These projects can be tailored to their interest and can involve social media, customer service, financial analysis, programming, registration, merchandising and other exciting behind the scenes projects that make Mo’ Motion possible.
- Interns must show up on time. If they cannot make an appointment, they must give advanced notice.
- Interns should conduct themselves in a professional manner at all times.
- Interns are expected to be reliable, trustworthy, enthusiastic, personable and motivated individuals who figure out the task at hand and bring not only the best solution but a list of additional thoughts and recommendations.
- Successful interns will be those who come up with their own ideas, initiative and follow them through to completion.
I’m Interested… Now What?
Community Service Application
Complete this application. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions. If you are a high school student seeking credit for volunteer hours, please see more information here.